Welcome to Waiting on the Trade, a monthly comics book club for people who don’t have time for monthly comics!
In this intro episode, Matt and Pat explain what this new podcast is all about, talk about their first and favorite comics, and tease what’s coming up.
Come for the episode, stay for the bonus content! In these blog posts, I’ll include some episode-relevant explanations, observations, and links of note. This episode’s include:
- We talk about A LOT of comics in this episode. Here, I’m going to mention just some of our firsts and faves:
- I found Pat’s favorite The Far Side comic, and it as morbidly hilarious as he made it out to be.
- I am not sure why Pat’s father put The Crow within easy reach of an eleven year old, but Pat managed to turn out alright. You can read a lot of that book for free online, it looks like …
- JLA: Year One, on the other hand, is a much more straightforward and uplifting comic.
- The #ComicsDNA hashtag blew up on Twitter the day after we recorded this, so I compiled my “first comics” there. They are all so very ’90s.
- If you want to get a jump on reading our “desert island” comics, here are links to:
- New X-Men (Pat)
- The Sandman (Pat)
- JLA (Matt)
- Hark! A Vagrant (Matt)
- If you like our style and are looking for an excuse to re-watch Battlestar Galactica, here’s a link to the Battlestar Bros. podcast that Pat and I finished just before starting this project.
- The term “Marvel Comics Bullshit” is lovingly stolen from the War Rocket Ajax boys, who host one of my favorite comics podcasts.
- And just in case you didn’t know, you do not vape a weeb. Also, Pat is not actually a weeb. Like not even close.
If you’re planning to tune in to future episodes, we’d LOVE to hear your suggestions for what comics we should talk about. Feel free to leave those in the comments, or contact us via Twitter or email using the links below.
Be sure to join us next time, when we discuss Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely, and Jamie Grant’s All-Star Superman!
New to the show? Waiting on the Trade is a monthly comics podcast, run by two gents who don’t have time for monthly comics. If you’d like to get in touch with us, you can email us at WaitingOnTheTrade@gmail.com.
You can also find us on:
As always, thanks for listening!
Yaaas episode zero cause only cool people start numbering things with 0!
Legit episode! I know nothing about comics so the links in the show notes were super helpful! It definitely was nice to be able to have a visual reference to the comics ya’ll talked about. Super interesting hearing about your guys’ intro to comics and favorite ones! Once I’m ready to start reading them I’ll know exactly where to look.
If no one has claimed Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, I would love to do an episode with you guys about that series if ya’ll are down.
Stoked to listen to Episode 1!
[…] we returned to our current apartment in North Fresno, where I performed some podcast publication preparation and then joined Kat by the pool. Even in California, it’s too cold to go for a swim in […]