Welcome to Waiting on the Trade, a monthly comics book club for people who don’t have time for monthly comics!
In this intro episode, Matt and Pat explain what this new podcast is all about, talk about their first and favorite comics, and tease what’s coming up.
Come for the episode, stay for the bonus content! In these blog posts, I’ll include some episode-relevant explanations, observations, and links of note. This episode’s include:
- We talk about A LOT of comics in this episode. Here, I’m going to mention just some of our firsts and faves:
- I found Pat’s favorite The Far Side comic, and it as morbidly hilarious as he made it out to be.
- I am not sure why Pat’s father put The Crow within easy reach of an eleven year old, but Pat managed to turn out alright. You can read a lot of that book for free online, it looks like …
- JLA: Year One, on the other hand, is a much more straightforward and uplifting comic.
- The #ComicsDNA hashtag blew up on Twitter the day after we recorded this, so I compiled my “first comics” there. They are all so very ’90s.
- If you want to get a jump on reading our “desert island” comics, here are links to:
- If you like our style and are looking for an excuse to re-watch Battlestar Galactica, here’s a link to the Battlestar Bros. podcast that Pat and I finished just before starting this project.
- The term “Marvel Comics Bullshit” is lovingly stolen from the War Rocket Ajax boys, who host one of my favorite comics podcasts.
- And just in case you didn’t know, you do not vape a weeb. Also, Pat is not actually a weeb. Like not even close.
If you’re planning to tune in to future episodes, we’d LOVE to hear your suggestions for what comics we should talk about. Feel free to leave those in the comments, or contact us via Twitter or email using the links below.
Be sure to join us next time, when we discuss Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely, and Jamie Grant’s All-Star Superman!
As always, thanks for listening!