Welcome back to Waiting on the Trade, a monthly comics book club for people who don’t have time for monthly comics!
In this episode, guest host Kathryn Prince takes a look back at her far-gone youth, as we discuss Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Seconds.
This episode’s explanations, observations, and links of note include:
- According to the Today Show (that bastion of scientific knowledge), bread DOES NOT make you fat! So no apologies necessary, Mr. O’Malley. (Looking at other sources, the whole “bread makes you fat” thing boils down to bread = carbs.)
- You can go pretty deep on Multiverse Theory (and the Many-worlds Interpretation, specifically) if you want to. But maybe a different you has already chosen not to? It’s impossible to say.
- Here’s my day job bio page, which includes the quote that I reference (and the GIF that Kat references) about 14 minutes in. I’m trying to do better to live by that quote.
- And here’s that The Bell Jar passage that Kat references right afterward. It’s a very good passage.
- The phrase “Bubbling Cauldron of Whims” is trademark Kat, Matt, and Pat circa 2019. Expect merch whenever any of us finds additional free-time.
- Really, though, you likely should NOT open restaurant. I’ll let Freakonomics tell you why.
- I’ve been told that the Gods of Fresno Intersections will be appearing on Kat’s Tumblr soon. In the meantime, be sure to check out what she’s already posted as Red Phacelia!
If you liked Seconds, we think you might also like:
- Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong.
- Scott Pilgrim.
- Steven Universe.
- The Sculptor. (Which I’ve written a bit about here.)
If you enjoyed Kat’s time on the podcast, be sure to check out her art on Tumblr! And be sure to join us here next month, when we discuss Fraction, Aja, Lieber, Hamm, and Francavilla’s Hawkeye: Little Hits.
New to the show? Waiting on the Trade is a monthly comics podcast, run by two gents who don’t have time for monthly comics. If you’d like to get in touch with us, you can:
As always, thanks for listening!