Welcome back to Waiting on the Trade, a monthly comics book club for people who don’t have time for monthly comics!
In this episode, guest host Suzanne Payne judges a book by its cover, as we talk about Sam Humphries, Jen Bartel, and co.’s Blackbird Vol. 1.
This episode’s explanations, observations, and links of note include:
- Not gonna lie, I had not heard of Poppy until Suzanne brought it up in her intro. I definitely thought she was referring to the weird YouTube star of the same name.
- Pretty sure this is the Jen Bartel interview that Suzanne references in the episode. It has insight into why the series takes place in L.A., Nina’s development, and other key choices.
- I could not find an official hiatus announcement for Blackbird anywhere, but the fact that it’s not listed on this list of soon-to-return Image series means it’s likely not coming back anytime soon?
- Still highly recommend following Jen Bartel on Twitter, and getting her awesome prints and covers dropped in your Twitter feed.
- Suzanne’s discussion of “strong female characters” gives me an excuse to link to Hark! A Vagrant‘s “Strong Female Characters” strip, and I am sure as hell gonna take it.
- Riverdale Archie’s got abs, bro. He’s got abs.
- “It’s weird as heck.” – Patrick FitzGerald-Fleck, on the apparently-somewhat-similar-to-Blackbird anime Madoka Magica.
If you liked Blackbird, we think you might also like:
If you enjoyed Suzanne’s time on the podcast, be sure to follow her on Instagram (where you’ll soon see some fantastic Christmas cookies) . And be sure to join us here next month, when we discuss X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills with guest host Bryce Manning.
New to the show? Waiting on the Trade is a monthly comics podcast, run by two gents who don’t have time for monthly comics. If you’d like to get in touch with us, you can email us at WaitingOnTheTrade@gmail.com.
You can also find us on:
As always, thanks for listening!