Welcome back to Waiting on the Trade, a monthly comics book club for people who don’t have time for monthly comics!
In this episode, guest host Simon Payne helps us eat nuts and kick butts, as we discuss Ryan North, Erica Henderson, and co.’s The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe.
This episode’s explanations, observations, and links of note include:
- Hey, Marvel Comics? Could you please let Ryan North write a new Iron Man book titled The Insufferable Iron Man? It would make my year. Thanks!
- Because I know you want to listen to it (I did), here’s a link to the original 60s Spider-Man theme. What a classic.
- I found the draw the rest of the fucking owl subreddit that Simon mentioned because how could I not? I also found Chip Zdarsky’s hilarious “How to Draw Daredevil” cover on reddit.
- If you are interested in learning more about Spider-Man’s clones (and who isn’t?!?), you may want to check out The Life of Reilly – a cool 35 part series examining the Clone Saga (which is much shorter and probably better than the actual Clone Saga).
- As you know, Pat’s views on squirrels do not represent the views of the Waiting on the Trade podcast as a whole.
- Let’s just let the internet decide whether electricity travels at the speed of light, shall we?
- What’s that? You want a mostly-complete list of Marvel characters who have lifted Thor’s hammer? Why, I just happen to have one!
If you liked The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe, we think you might also like:
- Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. (Not for kids, tho!) (6.19.20 Update: Since we recorded this episode, multiple female creators have spoken of writer Warren Ellis’s inappropriate conduct toward them. So you may want to give this one a miss.)
- Atomic Robo. (Is great for kids, tho!)
If you enjoyed Simon’s time on the podcast and want to let him know, you can find him on Twitter.
New to the show? Waiting on the Trade is a monthly comics podcast, run by two gents who don’t have time for monthly comics. If you’d like to get in touch with us, you can:
You can also find us on:
As always, thanks for listening!