Welcome back to Waiting on the Trade, a comics book club for people who don’t have time for monthly comics!
In this episode, guest host Tyler Marifke goes on an awkward couple’s retreat with us, as we discuss Kelly Thompson, Pere Pérez, Frank D’Armata, and co.’s Rogue & Gambit: Ring of Fire.
This Month’s Discussion Questions
- What the heck was that?
- How do you feel about accents being written out in dialogue?
- Who is your favorite X-couple?
Explanations, Observations, and Links of Note
- The Trial of Gambit was 1997! Called it!
- Kids, this is what VCRs are.
- So here’s a little interview re: X-Men marriages at the time this book took place. I wouldn’t be surprised if the last page of Rogue & Gambit is as weird as it is because X-editorial hadn’t figured out X-Men: Gold 30 yet. (And here’s the other NY Times article about Batman and Catwoman not getting married. What a bizarre summer for superhero comics.)
- Destiny and I feel the same way about Gambit.
- An example of this book’s “too many word balloons” problem.
If you liked Rogue & Gambit, we think you might also like:
- The “Double Date” issues of Tom King’s Batman run.
- Marvel’s Midnight Suns.
- Stan Lee: The Man Behind Marvel.
New to the show? Waiting on the Trade is a monthly comics podcast, run by two gents who don’t have time for monthly comics. If you’d like to get in touch with us, you can email us at WaitingOnTheTrade@gmail.com.
You can also find us on:
As always, thanks for listening!