Welcome back to Waiting on the Trade, a comics book club for people who don’t have time for monthly comics!
In this episode, guest host Simon Payne chooses wisely, as we discuss the first volume of Kieron Gillen, Dan Mora, Tamra Bonvillain, and Ed Dukeshire’s Once & Future.
This Month’s Discussion Questions
- Which panel or page has your favorite art (and why)?
- Does knowing how a story ends ruin your enjoyment of it?
- In this volume, the mindless idealization of Arthurian legends threatens modern-day Britain. What American stories or myths are threatening to take over our country?
Explanations, Observations, and Links of Note
- I did track down a list of songs about the music industry, which reminded me that Reel Big Fish’s “Sell Out” exists. Lots of good tracks on that list, actually.
- This was an interesting site on which to find a picture of the Tales of King Arthur book I mentioned. Those illustrations by Rodney Matthews will forever be lodged in my brain.
- I can’t resist an opportunity to steal someone’s free time by linking them to TV Tropes, so here’s a primer on Flanderization.
- Here’s the best/most digestible treatise I could find on why Ronald Reagan really did suck, from TeenVogue of all places.
- Paul Bunyan: Also dangerous!
- Here’s a link to The History of English Podcast Simon mentioned.
If you liked Once & Future, we think you might also like:
New to the show? Waiting on the Trade is a monthly comics podcast, run by two gents who don’t have time for monthly comics. If you’d like to get in touch with us, you can email us at WaitingOnTheTrade@gmail.com.
You can also find us on:
As always, thanks for listening!